Your bae just left you, the club scene is anything but lit, or you’re spending way too much time swiping left on Tinder. Maybe you are newly diagnosed and still getting the courage to ramp up your sex life again. No matter the situation, it’s always a good time to take things into your own hands – literally. That’s right…we’re talking masturbation.
One of the best ways you can always get the love and pleasure you deserve is to masturbate. It’s a great way to escape the everyday pressures of simply adulting. And, it’s super healthy for you. If you can’t tell, we are all about things that are good for you here at Positive Peers.
Even science says masturbation is super good for you
Did you know that getting it on solo is excellent for both your physical and mental health? Check out the top health benefits masturbation has to offer:
- It’s safer than any other type of sex. If you are doing it alone, there is absolutely no way to get an STI or HIV and no way to transfer the viruses or bacteria that cause them (unless you are using a toy that you may use on someone else later on).
- Having an orgasm releases endorphins — those are the feel-good chemicals in your brain that make us feel “high.” When you experience sexual pleasure, it helps boost your immunity and promotes healing. Plus, it makes you feel happy and safe.
- For men, it can decrease the risk of prostate cancer.
- Whether it’s anxiety or side effects from meds, insomnia is a common problem for those living with HIV. Getting those good feelings in your nether regions can help you relax and fall asleep faster.
- Exploring your body and learning how to pleasure yourself can feel empowering, boost your self-image, and improve your mood. So, if you are dealing with chronic depression or just a bout of sadness, try to make yourself feel good down there and see if your mood improves.
- As a good form of exercise for your pelvis, it helps keep it firm and slim. Think about that: having sex, even with yourself, can keep you looking sexy!
5 Tantalizing tips to please yourself
If you don’t think masturbation act can live up to the real deal, here are five fabulous tips for making it the hot and steamy moment you crave.
1. Start by making the scene intimate and treat yourself – and your genitalia – right. Straighten up your bedroom, throw out the empty pop cans, break out the silk sheets, and light a candle. Turn on the tunes – sex and music pretty much go hand-in-hand. Pun totally intended.
2. We all know the end goal but take things slow and get into the whole experience. Take your time and, little by little, build up the action – getting closer and closer to orgasm. Allow yourself time to feel a whole range of sensations.
3. Don’t cheat. Use both hands. While one hand is tugging on or tickling your love muscle, run your free hand softly over your skin in other places. If you are right-handed, try letting your left-hand tiptoe through your lady garden for a little while. Tease yourself, like a good lover would. Be sure to treat yourself like you would want a lover to treat you.
4. Switch positions. Try leaning up against your bedroom wall, sit in a chair, or get down on all fours. Different positions can create different sensations. Maybe you’ll even discover one that is more satisfying and you can share it with your next partner.
5. Rub it out with a fun (and safe) object, try out a new sex toy, or experiment with various lubricants. Like the saying goes, “the wetter the better.” Experiment with lubes that warm up or have a cooling sensation. Consider using a blindfold to restrict your eyesight and allow your other senses to take over.
The important thing here is to make sure you keep your sex life alive and kicking, especially if you are single. Self-stimulating helps keep your genitals flexible, strong, and healthy. And the more you learn from your solo-sexy time, the better you’ll be able to show off your sexy side on the next date.