Ready to start shaking that booty but don’t have the cash or desire to join a gym or sports league? Summer is a great time to get active without losing a precious dime!
There are lots of places in the Cleveland metro area where you can work out for free with cool people who are into the same kinds of workouts as you. Here are a few you might want to check out:
Yoga is a great way to stay flexible, build lean muscle, and get your mind and body in a good place. It’s also a very beginner-friendly exercise with plenty of room to advance in technique as you practice more and more. Here are a couple places in Cleveland that have free yoga events:
- Edgewater Live: Thursdays from 7-7:30 p.m. until August 14, 2017. Edgewater Beach in the Cleveland Metroparks Lakefront Reservation
- North Coast Namaste: Every Tuesday at 6 p.m. through September 26, 2017 North Coast Harbor on the Cleveland lakefront.
- Rooftop Yoga in Hingetown with Harness Cycle: Saturdays at 11:30 a.m. The rooftop of the Federal Knitting Mills building in Hingetown
- East 4th & Yoga: Presented by Zenworks Yoga. Saturday mornings at 10 a.m. 308 Euclid Avenue (in the House of Blues)
- Yoga at Athleta Beachwood: Wednesdays & Saturdays at 9 a.m. through August. Athleta – Beachwood Place (26300 Cedar Road, Beachwood, OH 44122)
Running is a great way to keep your heart strong and your head motivated. While you could just strap on your shoes and hit the pavement yourself, Cleveland also has groups you can run with if you’re feeling social. 😉 Here are a couple free running groups in the Cleveland area you might want to check out:
- Sole Train Runners: This free group organized by the running-gear shop Second Sole sponsors free group runs and helps people prepare for longer runs like half-marathons and full marathons. They run on pavement and on trails. Check out their weekly schedule to see what they’re up to.
- Run with the Winners: Get together for runs with DJ Steph Floss, official DJ of the Cleveland Cavaliers, on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Updates are on the group’s Twitter feed.
- Running the Bridges: Harness Cycle hosts a free running group every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. This 3.5-mile loop starts at the Harness Cycle studio at the corner of West 29th and Detroit in Ohio City and heads into downtown across the Lorain/Carnegie Bridge and back into Ohio City via the Detroit/Superior Bridge. It is open to all levels.
Come join our private, stigma-free, supportive community.
Health management tools with medication & appointment reminders.
Social networking in a community conversation & private chats.
Get out your bike and take a free ride with your Cleveland neighbors. Bike events usually require you to have your own bike and a helmet, but some may have loaners available.
- Ohio City Bicycle Co-op: This group sponsors a free ride on the first Saturday of every month. Often, they check out local events or stage themed rides. More on their events page.
- Century Cycles: The Cleveland bike shop has two flavors of rides: Sunday mornings at 8 a.m. and night rides on the Towpath Trails on Saturday evenings.
Get outdoors with Cleveland Metroparks
Yoga, running, and bike riding can be pretty hard-core activities, especially if you’re not feeling too great or you’re just starting out. But there’s a little less strenuous option: outings with Cleveland Metroparks. They do things like “urban explorations” and “stroller school” that involve walking (or wandering). These are sure to get you off the couch and shaking the thing your momma gave ya. 😉 Check out their events page.
Not seeing what you’re looking for? You can find a bunch more free fitness groups and events in this blog post: 27 Free Fitness Classes and Workout Groups in Cleveland.
- Get Moving: The Importance of Exercise for HIV
- Does My Weight Affect HIV?
- HIV Nutrition: Which Foods Should I Eat?